First its name was Cathedral of St. George, but later it was renamed to Assumption of the Virgin. In 1239 the Mongol-Tatars destroyed Kaniv. The cathedral survived, although for a long time it stayed in ruins. The sanctuary was rebuilt in the sixteenth century. At the same time it was strengthened for fortifications to perform functions in the fight against the Tartars. And the cathedral regularly performed these functions. Especially memorable was the cathedral defense from the Turkish-Tatar army in 1678. It was managed by Archimandrite Makarios Tokarevskiy. It lasted a few days. Eventually Tatars surrounded the cathedral with wood and straw and set it on fire. Defenders were forced to surrender. They were subjected to brutal torture. This church is not only an outstanding spiritual sight in Ukraine which in architecture resembles a church Virgin Pirogoshchaya in Kyiv, but also a place that is symbolic of Cherkassy region, shrouded by interesting legends and myths.
Cherkasy region, Kaniv city, 62 Nebesnoi Sotni Street
49.752344 | 31.459817